Posted: March 5th, 2010 | Author: mahmoud | Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: downtempo, electronica, lounge, mahmoud, mix | 2 Comments »
A Pleisure Suit. Yeah, I'm gonna pronounce it that way for a couple days. Rolls off the tongue.
Evening, all. I’ve got a new mix, brought to you by a deep, deep desire to relax and enjoy a weekend. Of course, I’ve probably got an hour or two of work I have to shoehorn in between now and then. Luckily this mix works for that, too.
Pretty much a solid downtempo mix, not too many surprises. I’ve got the new Gorillaz in there, and only one cover. Beyond that, you’re listening to what’s been keeping my focus company. And for album art, semi-formal attire. A leisurely suit, if you would.
(mp3, VBR ~193kbps, 90MB, 1:05:18 running time, avg. 93 bpm)
- Del Close & John Brent – (sample)
- Velours Perfect - Indian Cowboys
- Animals on Wheels – Loath
- Little Dragon – A New
- Maserati – Cities (Assembly Mix)
- Saru - Subterra
- Felix Laband - Step Two
- Calm – Light Years
- Gorillaz – Plastic Beach
Total coincidence: Last mix had a Gorillaz track at #9, as well.
- Ticon - On the Rocks
- Caribou - Pelican Narrows
- Kruder & Dorfmeister - High Noon
I can’t help but feel that no downtempo mix is complete without some K&D.
- Cut Chemist - The Garden
- The Lushlife Project – Soul Reservation
- DJ Krush (feat. Toshinori Kondo) – Mu-Chu
- Alpha - My Things
- Minimatic - Take On Me (feat. Juliette P.)
Pretty cute way to outtro, I felt.
Posted: August 4th, 2009 | Author: matt | Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: dj, lounge, matt, mix, mix fix | 1 Comment »
Final mix from the land of the rising sun, Mix Fix #3:
(mp3, 55.8MB, 1:00:55 running time)
Be sure to check out my other mixes: mix no.5 and mix no.7. First proper lounge session, very relaxed, minimal and downtempo tunes for when you just want to sit and have a drink with friends. I wanted to show the side of DJing that’s more than just top 40 hip-hop-pop tracks, and that not every DJ needs to have a raving dance floor; I much prefer a room filled with chatter. I was mostly inspired to do this from my visits to Tokyo’s Pecha Kucha night.
For those of you not in the know, Pecha Kucha is an event where designers, artists, and anybody who has someting interesting to talk about is given 20 slides for 20 seconds each and a room full of eager listeners with a drink in their hand. Pecha Kucha is held in over 219 cities, so check their website to find the city nearest you, I promise you will be inspired.
Until then, kick back and enjoy this soothing mix. (*note: so far these mixes have focused on song selection, cohesion, and progression, mixes after these will focus on more technical aspects of mixing, the song selection will still be thought out as always though, no worries). Image courtesy Mahmoud, who will be making his first post any time now, he assures you.
- Asem Shama – Kinderspiel
- Djulz – Fleurette (Tobias Remix)
- Maetrik – They Love Terror
- Johannes Moses – Handsome
- St. Germain – Pont des Arts
- DJ Cam – I Don’t Know Why
- Lemon Jelly – ‘75 aka Stay With You
- Beat Pharmacy feat. Ursula Rucker- Pieces
- Beat Pharmacy feat. Paul St. Hilaire – Hot Spot Splash
- Bebel Gilberto – Bring Back The Love (Remix)
- Telepopmusik – Breathe
- Dzihn & Kamien – Smile (Eddy & Dus Remix)
- Chateau Flight – Superflight (Maurice Fulton Remix)
- Luscious Jackson – Nervous Breakthrough (Thievery Corporation Remix)
- Dzihan & Kamien – Before (Herbert’s After Dub)
- A Forest Mighty Black – Serpentines
- DJ Cam – Stress (Deckwrecka Remix)
- Lemon Jelly – Space Walk
- Bebel Gilberto – Cada Beijo (Thievery Corporation Remix)
- Dzihan & Kamien – Homebase (UFO Remix)
- A Forest Mighty Black – Everything (Freakniks Remix)
- Del The Funky Homosapien – Naked Fonk